Thursday, March 6, 2014

Write your name in elements!

I introduced my third grade Science Club students to the Periodic Table today. We looked at some of the more common elements such as oxygen & carbon, I explained to them basic atomic structure (protons, neutrons, electrons) & everyone drew an atom. After showing them the Periodic Table, it was time to have some fun seeing if we could create our names out of the element symbols! Not every letter is represented in the table but it was fun to try to see how many we could find and it was a great way to acquaint my kids with the Periodic Table!




If your kids need some extra help with this, this is a great web site to use: http://www.lmntology.com. Just type in your name or a word or a phrase & it will find the elements that fit. Click on any of the above pics for a copy of the worksheets. Happy weekend!!

6 comments :

  1. This is GREAT! We just started talking about the Periodic Table of Elements in my class today too! My kids are going to LOVE dong this! Thank you!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I bet my kids would really enjoy doing this.
    ~Lucy at Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy! Hope you &your kids enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I love this idea - can`t wait to use it, thanks : )

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover