Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pet Rocks!

My sweet little first graders had sooo much fun wrapping up our geology unit by making these cute little pet rocks!
We made soap boxes into little homes for our rocks, they came out so cute!.

We talked about the different types of rocks - sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic.  Everyone was amazed to learn that their little pet rock was at least one million years old! We found the mass, length, and width of each rock, recorded our data & taped it onto the pet rock's home. 



My students came up with the cutest names for their rocks! Rocksy, Rocky, Rock Star, Rockarella, Stonarella, - just to name a few! We talked about how scientists use the metric system and we made all of our measurements using metric system. It was such a fun way to wrap up our geology unit:

4 comments :

  1. The more I look at your products and read your blog the more I think "wow! she sounds like me! I would love to discuss teaching ideas some day! I am a newish teacher (2nd year) and I teach prek- 4 Science and computers. Thank you for so many wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tori! It's always nice for me to connect with another elementary school science teacher, I only know 2 teachers who have this job besides me!! So it's very nice to "meet" you!! Keep in touch! Sue :)

      Delete
  2. I am a currently a student pursuing my degree in Elementary Education. In my science class my classmates and I have been presenting many experiments/activities similar to those on your blog.I enjoy your blog because it is very well developed and fun to read! Thank you for posting all the activities you do to encourage all of us learning to become successful Educators. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sue & wishing you lots of success as a future educator!!!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover